Anti-Columbus Day Resources
Columbus was a slavetrader in Africa before invading America. He began the slave trade in the Americas. He deserves no holiday, no parades, no statues.
Columbus Day celebrates the doctrine of discovery – the legal process that stole Indian people’s territories, and that continues today.
Columbus brought a philosophy of domination to the Americas that persists today – domination of other peoples, domination of the environment, domination of other belief systems, domination of women by men.
Put Simply, the Columbus legacy is one steeped in blood, violence, and death.
The day celebrating him was created in 1907. 103 years later its time to remove this day celebrating violence, bloodshed and the dispossession and extermination of indigenous peoples from our calender. We must actively rejects the celebration of Columbus and his legacy. We must also reject historical misconceptions regarding Columbus and his “discovery” of the Americas.
As my small contribution to the fight against colonialism and one of the key holidays that celebrates it, here are some links to a selection of resources for anti-Columbus and anti-Columbus Day activists and warriors:
- Five Hundred Years of Injustice: The Legacy of Fifteenth Century Religious Prejudice – Steve Newcomb
- 500 Years of Indigenous Resistance – Oh-Toh-Kin
- Indigenous People’s Opposition to Celebration and Glorification of Colonial Pirate Christopher Columbus – AIM Grand-Governing Council
- Columbus, the Indians, and Human Progress – Howard Zinn
- A Faithful Response to the 500th Anniversary of the Arrival of Christopher Columbus – National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
- Statement in Support of a Respectful Celebration of Italian Heritage – Progressive Italians to Transform the Columbus Day Holiday
- Not All Italians Love Columbus – Mickey Z